Finding a Rhyme and a Reason

Embark on a journey of teaching and learning with Ms. Hayes' class at Georgetown K-8, Savannah, Georgia

Joseph Campbell’s Reluctant Hero – Fantasy or Reality?

September23

Bilbo Baggins, J. R. R. Tolkien’s protagonist in The Hobbit (1937) is portrayed as a reluctant hero. This characterization is framed throughout the tale by Bilbo’s ambivalence regarding his adventure with the Wizard Gandalf and the dwarves. However, it is also solidified by Joseph Campbell’s suggestion, in his widely reviewed work, The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949), that a hero’s journey can be articulated by a pattern of events that are somewhat universal and timeless, connected by myths and mores. In many ways it may appear that our contemporary society is just as fascinated with historical, literary and cinematic heroes as previous eras. If that is the case what might we infer from today’s news headlines which seem to suggest a rejection of education, family, values and self? Are we reluctant heroes and heroines or just reluctant people?

ELACC7W1: Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
a. Introduce claim(s), acknowledge alternate or opposing claims, and organize the reasons and evidence logically.
b. Support claim(s) with logical reasoning and relevant evidence, using accurate, credible sources and demonstrating an understanding of the topic or text.

I have added the standards above and I am suggesting we revist Campbell’s work and reframe the question.
Modified 10/1/2012 @ 7:43 PM

42 Comments to

“Joseph Campbell’s Reluctant Hero – Fantasy or Reality?”

1. September 24th, 2012 at 5:29 PM      Reply Grace Gardner Says:

I infer from today’s news that people are still fascinated by heroes but are to reluctant to be their own hero.If people would just over come their fear and be their own hero others would follow and be their own hero. In my opinion there are no reluctant heroes just reluctant people. The reason I think that is if you are reluctant you aren’t a hero.

• September 24th, 2012 at 9:15 PM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

Wow! “If you are reluctant you aren’t a hero.” That challenges everything about Tolkien’s protagonist. You have me asking myself a lot of questions. Whenever we crown someone a hero or heroine, it almost always seems to coincide with some good, daring, or noble act that puts that person in harm’s way. I’m not sure that that is ever done without some inner conflict, especially when one has time to think about the risks. Thanks. You have given me much to think about.

• March 26th, 2013 at 5:33 PM      Reply Luis A Montero Says:

Hello, Ms. Hayes. Well here’s a response about six months later! You wrote: “I’m not sure that that is ever done without some inner conflict, especially when one has time to think about the risks.” I completely agree with you. To draw from Christian tradition, I recall what Jesus said to His Father about the suffering He was soon to endure: “Father, if thou wilt, remove this chalice from me, but yet not my will, but thine be done.” (Luke 22:42). This “chalice,” of course, was the “chalice of suffering” that Jesus was about to endure. It has always seemed to me that Jesus, who we Catholics and all Christians believe to be God in human form, did not really want to be crucified, but for the love of His Heavenly Father, and for the salvation of souls, was willing to go through with it So maybe even in the “Perfect Man” we have something of a reluctant hero! I think that true heroism therefore consists not in having no feelings of reluctance, but in overcoming that reluctance for the good of others.

Respectfully,

Luis, a Special Education teacher from Miami, Florida

P.S. I love your blog! I hope to imitate your practice in my own work. May God bless you and your students!

2. September 24th, 2012 at 5:58 PM      Reply Harrison Says:

Anyone can be a hero, bilbo baggins is only kind of a hero

3. September 24th, 2012 at 6:00 PM      Reply armin Says:

i think that we are heroes because we all help each other out in our life. in some people that may help you a lot. so, that makes you a hero to someone. just by helping them out a little. like in the hobbit gandalf always helps Bilbo baggins out even though he gets nothing in return. so Bilbo would think of gandalf as a hero and gandalf is proud to do that.

• September 24th, 2012 at 8:37 PM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

I find it interesting that you state that Gandalf helps Bilbo out but “he gets nothing in return.” Now I’m wondering about each character’s motivation. We know why Thorin and the other dwarves embark on the journey, but what’s in it for the others or what do they gain? This may not even be the right question because often times when a “hero” goes on a quest, the cause is bigger than him or her.

4. September 24th, 2012 at 6:00 PM      Reply beingmii99 Says:

I say that we are just reluctant people because we probaly weren’t home-trained so they believe that if you act proper that you are stuck-up or a snobby person.Even for adults,they have to go through the same thing.For example,if someone doesn’t do what the teacher says,then they get into trouble.But the funny thing is that when they get in trouble,they say,”I don’t care.My momma/daddy ain’t gon do nothing.Dat’s why I can’t stand that teacher.They get on my nerves.”And then comes the eye/neck rolling.But,they’re in the wrong.And,if they are mad enough,they start passing notes,and start acting bad in front of their friends.Everytime that student gets in their class,they will act as if they always have an attitude.FRIENDS are why people act that way sometime.Whether you like it or not,kids will always be this way,so it will be generation after generation.Hope you like it!;)

• September 24th, 2012 at 8:24 PM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

Alexis, I am struggling to see how this addresses the article and the question. Maybe you should reread the article and consider writing a rhetorical précis to clarify your thoughts. I will be looking for the repost.

5. September 24th, 2012 at 8:10 PM      Reply Grace s Says:

Some people are reluctant and some people are not. It depends on what you are willing to do. Bilbo Baggins, in the beginning of the book, was reluctant to go on this adventure… Now he is the best burgular they have ever had. People can change from being reluctant to non-reluctant you just must give them time. We gave Bilbo a few chapters in the book and he changed…

• September 24th, 2012 at 9:01 PM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

So, I think you are saying that people can evolve and adapt to a situation as needed. I guess our circumstances can mold us in ways that we at times do not forsee. For Bilbo, the change appears to be a good thing even though the word burgular has a negative connotation.

6. September 25th, 2012 at 5:34 PM      Reply Harrison Says:

Anyone can be a hero; he or she just has to be willing to make sacrifices in order to do so. When you think of a hero, you think of Bilbo Baggins, but I don’t consider him a hero just yet. So far in the story, he’s always been wants to go home and desires no part in being a hero. A true hero is anyone who is dedicated and is ready for anything that lies ahead.

• September 25th, 2012 at 7:30 PM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

Harrison, you and Grace appear to have similar viewpoints. I am still wrestling with the idea that one can be reluctant and still, after “answering the call” be a hero. Perhaps being ready for “anything that lies ahead” demands that one knows his or her strengths and limitations.

7. September 25th, 2012 at 5:35 PM      Reply natalie Says:

I think we are heroes because we all help someone in are lifetime. Just like Bilbo Baggins, when he saves the dwarves from the elf prison, he has the courage to stay there to help his friends. Bilbo is of course a hero saving the dwarves butts everywhere they go.

8. September 25th, 2012 at 5:51 PM      Reply Madison H. Says:

I think that we are both. In news headlines, when you see an everyday person doing something heroic, someone thinks, “I could never do that.” We are reluctant people because we think, in society, that it’s absurd to do these things. Our alter ego is a reluctant hero, who wants to do right, and feels that it’s good, but nothing happens. It’s really profound because all in all, people just expect someone to do right. In actuality, it won’t happen unless someone has the guts to prove society wrong and dare to be an everyday hero.

9. September 25th, 2012 at 5:56 PM      Reply Madison H. Says:

[sorry for commenting once already, but I don’t think it approved] To me, I think we are both. We are reluctant people because we think, “I would never do that because I’m too scared.” Yet, we are reluctant heroes as well because we want to right, and we feel that it’s right, but we don’t. It’s the fear that stops people from doing just things in society.

10. September 25th, 2012 at 6:18 PM      Reply Daniel Kim Says:

I think that we are heroes because these days we do a lot of things to help each other and protect the world.When we help them then they will do something in return and that makes you a great hero. In J. R. R. Tolkien’s story The Hobbit (1937), Bilbo is very scared in some parts of the journey, but Gandalf and the dwarves help him when he needs help. Gandalf and the dwarves are like heroes to Bilbo, and the same goes with us.

11. September 25th, 2012 at 6:34 PM      Reply Audrey Blanchard Says:

I infer that anyone has the capability to be a hero or heroine, but some people are reluctant to step up and make the sacrifices to do so. Bilbo Baggins is not quite a hero at the beginning of the story, but later becomes braver. At first, Bilbo was always wanting to go home and Gandalf was saving him all the time. But later, he steps up to more challenges and becomes a great burglar. A true hero is selfless and will step up to any challenge to save his or her friends.

12. September 25th, 2012 at 6:35 PM      Reply Andrea Says:

I think that any one can be a hero as long as you put your heart to it. If you are willing to do it. Sometimes its good to not be willing to do things right off the bat. Its good because it may be a bad choice to make. Remember Bilbo wasn’t willing to go on any adventure. Near the end of the book he changed… He was willing to do whatever came up in front of him.

13. September 25th, 2012 at 7:24 PM      Reply Dejone Martells :) who else? Says:

Reluctant hero- someone who is a hero but does not wish to be ackknowkedge as one, typically protrayed descibed by Joseph Campbell.
    1. Beause people are so reluctant on certain things that the news may say because they think it is true, and they may be determined on the headlines on many different things and topics.
    2. People are reluctant, people are often reluctant to take actions that may be in their best interest to persue, or follow.
    Bilbo was a hero and he really didnt think he would be until he faced many challenges and fears…

14. September 25th, 2012 at 10:23 PM      Reply Madison E Says:

I agree with grace s.It really depends if your just reluctant or a reluctant hero or heroine. you may already be a reluctant hero or heroine because of the time you’ve had. If you are reluctant, you will need to build up your skills, and have more practice in order to become a hero or heroine.(:

15. September 25th, 2012 at 10:32 PM      Reply Madison E Says:

I agree with grace s. It really depends on which one you are at that time, and it also takes time to be a reluctant hero or heroine. You may already be a reluctant hero or heroine because of the time you’ve had. If you are a reluctant person, it will take time to practice , and build up skill just like Bilbo did in the story.(:

16. September 26th, 2012 at 4:47 PM      Reply Andrea M Says:

I can infer from todays news, that we are our own reluctant heroes, since we are the ones that push ourselves to our own goals, and the ones that help us understand who we are. In society, there are reluctant people, who are reluctant heroes as well.

17. September 26th, 2012 at 5:54 PM      Reply i Says:

I think that in today’s world being a hero isn’t always good. For example, in France a man posted a newspaper comic making fun of the Muslim prophet Muhammad (SAW). In Muslim countries, the people there put a death sentence on this man. In all situations there is usually an opposing group.

• September 26th, 2012 at 5:57 PM      Reply Sam Markle Says:

Sorry that last comment was mine but it didn’t say my name because my computer glitched

• September 27th, 2012 at 6:16 AM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

Without getting too detailed, Sam, I am reminded of some coursework I did in a sociology class in college. We learned about emic (me) and etic (outsider) viewpoints. As long as we have people in the world who are reluctant to tolerate or accept diverse views, and instead want to generalize or impose their views on others, we will have conflict and opposition because people have opposing values and beliefs – the insider, outsider perspective. Does this make sense?

18. September 26th, 2012 at 6:23 PM      Reply Fiona Says:

In my opinion there are many heroes but not all are reluctant. Take firemen for example they are heroes of society and they aren’t really reluctant. Also I believe there are no reluctant heroes just reluctant people. I thinks this because stuff happens when stuff happens, and you cant change the past.

• September 27th, 2012 at 5:59 AM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

Okay, so you are somewhat in agreement with Grace. Did you see her posting. I’m torn. I just think that even the bravest fireman “pauses” act times to consider the risk, but they act anyway. Perhaps the “pause” causes them to even think more strategically about how to resolve the situation. I think I will call a local fire station and interview a fireman on the phone. Thanks for the inspiration, Fiona. I’m listening and not too old or rigid to change my thinking 🙂

19. September 26th, 2012 at 7:31 PM      Reply Samantha Says:

Sometimes many people are reluctant because they don’t want to be in dangers way. Take Bilbo Baggins for example, he didnt want to even go on the journey at first but then he changed his mind at the last moment. So anyone can be a hero or heroine in their own special way. You can live in the moment and be the change in the world that you would like to see, or just skim through life not taking any chances. Be the change you would like to see!

• September 27th, 2012 at 5:50 AM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

This is very insightful, Samantha. That’s what I love about reading; through literature, we learn about ourselves and our world. Yes, Bilbo has, just as we all do at times, his share of internal conflict – man versus self. Everyone will face conflicts and dilemmas in his or her lifetime. However, as you so eloquently state, “Be the change you would like to see!”

20. September 26th, 2012 at 7:41 PM      Reply Shereen Says:

I think that we are heroes in our own way. I mean we help people almost everyday, but some people are too reluctant to do something to help. If you help someone then you are a hero in their eyes and they would probably do something in return. Like in the book, Bilbo Baggins was too reluctant to try in the beginning, and Gandalf would always save him, but as the book went on he became his own hero. At the end bilbo would do anything to save his friends.

• September 26th, 2012 at 8:27 PM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

Shereen, how does Bilbo manifest or show that he is reluctant? Can you cite an event, something in the text that Bilbo said or did, that is evidence of his reluctance? You can post the page number(s) too.

21. September 26th, 2012 at 8:36 PM      Reply Mason Smith Says:

I think we are just reluctant people. If you want to be a reluctant hero or herine you need to make yourself one. In the hobbit, Bilbo is a reluctant hero. He cosiders himself a hero because he helps the dwarves and Thorin. This is why i think we are just reluctant people.

22. September 26th, 2012 at 9:45 PM      Reply Lexi Graff Says:

I think that we could be reluctant heroes, heroines or just reluctant people. Just like what Audrey said, my example of a reluctant hero would be that at first Bilbo didn’t want to leave and did not feel comfortable, but as the days went on, Bilbo got used to it and really improved his job and brought up his courage. He isn’t just a hero or reluctant person; he is both because he doubts himself a lot but he has really come a long to be a braver person. So we may be like Bilbo and be a reluctant hero, but we also may be at times be a reluctant person. We could definitely be a hero or heroine for just about every good thing we do.

• September 26th, 2012 at 10:21 PM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

Lexi, what specific events or circumstances in the book embolden Bilbo’s courage? Can you cite a page with your evidence. Also, did you and Audrey read what Grace wrote?

23. September 28th, 2012 at 3:22 PM      Reply Madison E. Says:

I agree with Grace S because it depends on what you already are. If you are a reluctant person, you will need time to build up your skills and become more experienced, to become a reluctant hero or heroine. If you are already a hero or heroine, its because of the time that you’ve had to build up your skills.

• September 29th, 2012 at 12:40 AM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

I a little confused, Madison. How might you you restate your ideas to clarify your position? Are you saying that one will “become more experienced” only to become reluctant?

24. September 28th, 2012 at 3:30 PM      Reply Asjah Johnson Says:

In my opinion i believe that we are just reluctant people i believe that we are reluctant people because we fear change and trying new thing. We also fear being different because of the consequences it causes and the judgement it brings, but this is just my opinion

25. September 29th, 2012 at 12:50 PM      Reply Chandler S Says:

I think that anyone can be a hero. It is just if they are dedicated, or willing to sacrifice themselves to save other’s lives. Many are reluctant; they just care about themselves but do not realize that if you do something nice for someone than they will do something nice for you. But, if you do bad toward someone they will treat you the same way.

26. October 28th, 2012 at 2:20 AM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

Michelle S. Hayes and Core 4
    Bilbo Baggins – A Literary Hero

In an article based upon Joseph Campbell’s book Hero with a Thousand Faces, first published in 1949, Campbell asserts that every mythological hero fits a pattern on the hero-journey. J.R.R. Tolkien’s hero Bilbo Baggins meets this criterion in spite of his initial reluctance to answer the call to an adventure. This paper will examine three factors that support Baggins’ status as a hero: his pedigree, his call, and his aid.

When Tolkien introduces Baggins, he tells his readers that the ancestors of Baggins’ mother, Belladonna Took “must have taken a fairy wife” (p.2). This explains why Bilbo is conflicted by the thought of going on an adventure. While he sees himself as a regular hobbit, part of his nature is influenced by his mother. Eventually, the Tookish nature wins, and he agrees to go on the journey.

Additionally, Bilbo meets Campbell’s second criteria. He is called on the adventure by an unexpected guest, Gandalf the wizard. Gandalf beckons Baggins to help thirteen dwarves travel to the far away countryside to regain their long lost treasure, possessed by a powerful dragon.

Lastly, Baggins is assisted by a magical ring that he wisely uses to overpower his foes. This ring grants him the power of invisibility. Bilbo conceals the ring from Gandalf and the dwarves until he must reveal that he has it.

Therefore, Baggins does fit Campbell’s pattern of a mythological hero. He is indeed among the heroes of a thousand faces.

27. October 28th, 2012 at 2:22 AM      Reply Ms. Hayes Says:

One of our writing tasks involved reading Campbell’s work to determine if Bilbo Baggins meets his criteria for heroes. Above is the model core 4 students and I co-wrote in class.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Calendar

September 2012
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

"WeChoose2Matter"
Click on the link above to see this word cloud at WordItOut. You may also view it on this website if you enable JavaScript (see your web browser settings).

Word cloud made with WordItOut

International Day of the GIrl Summit

!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");

“Day of the Girl Summit”

Visitors

var _clustrmaps = {'url' : 'http://michelleshayes.edublogs.org/', 'user' : 1047617, 'server' : '4', 'id' : 'clustrmaps-widget', 'version' : 1, 'date' : '2012-09-29', 'lang' : 'en', 'corners' : 'square' };(function (){ var s = document.createElement('script'); s.type = 'text/javascript'; s.async = true; s.src = 'http://www4.clustrmaps.com/counter/map.js'; var x = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; x.parentNode.insertBefore(s, x);})();Locations of visitors to this page

free counters

Google Scholar

Google Scholar

Google Language Translator

function googleTranslateElementInit() { new google.translate.TranslateElement({pageLanguage: 'en', layout: google.translate.TranslateElement.InlineLayout.SIMPLE}, 'google_translate_element'); }

Ms. Hayes, Academic Coach

Georgetown K-8

Skip to toolbar