Finding a Rhyme and a Reason

Embark on a journey of teaching and learning with Ms. Hayes' class at Georgetown K-8, Savannah, Georgia

How can we ensure that guns are not on our school campus?

February4

Friday, in the aftermath of the shooting at Price Middle School, I asked my students to respond to this writing prompt in class. Today, they are posting the comments as written.

by posted under Community | 69 Comments »    
69 Comments to

“How can we ensure that guns are not on our school campus?”

1. February 4th, 2013 at 8:50 AM      Reply Mya Says:

We can ensure that guns aren’t in our schools by letting someone actually check us in the morning. Sometimes they just let us go straight in without even checking our bags. Also what is the point of having a metal detector and not even using it.

2. February 4th, 2013 at 8:51 AM      Reply Nia Paul Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on campus by actually using the medal detectors, checking bags, checking lockers, and having good security .If you fail to do these things then guns will be able to get on campus.

3. February 4th, 2013 at 8:54 AM      Reply Madyson Garrett Says:

We can ensure by having the school police to check all of the students belongings and making sure nothing that is dangerous is in their bags.

4. February 4th, 2013 at 8:55 AM      Reply madisen Says:

We can ensure this by having medal detectors or having checks every other two days. That way an accident like Thursday does not happen again.

5. February 4th, 2013 at 8:55 AM      Reply dashanna perry Says:

By turning on the metal detectors and checking people’s bookbags more carefully.

6. February 4th, 2013 at 8:56 AM      Reply poohbear13 Says:

We can ensure guns are not on our campus with tighter security. By tighter security, I mean: working metal detectors, more officers with hand held metal detectors and a “patting” search when you first walk the door. If the parents (like my dad) have a permit to carry their guns, then they have to come in with the permit or they aren’t allowed past those gray doors of the main hallway downstairs.

7. February 4th, 2013 at 8:59 AM      Reply Tyquasha Says:

In my opinion I think somebody should fix the medal detectors because if students or visitors have a gun they will know. Also I know some schools do not have medal detectors, so I will ensure that a staff member or an assistant would check the students correctly when they go in school so that know one will get injured or killed. If a school can not do any of these things, then I pray for the best for the school and students.

8. February 4th, 2013 at 9:02 AM      Reply Rickayla Says:

I think that we should have metal detctors at schools. It would help us to keep children safe and keep them out of danger. They can check all the students with the metal detctors and use to check students for weapons dangerous.

9. February 4th, 2013 at 9:04 AM      Reply Idaja Says:

We cannot ensure that guns are not on our campus because the metal detectors don’t work, and sometimes there is no one there to check us. All we can do is hope that the students have enough sense and know not to bring guns or any other type of weapon to school.

10. February 4th, 2013 at 9:06 AM      Reply india davis Says:

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    The first day was the day of the tributes in district 12, also called seam. A lady named Effie Trinket came and choose two names for the reaping. Prim was called but then katniss volunteered as tribute for her which was really sweet. Then a boys name was called. It was Peeta Meilark, the bakers son.

11. February 4th, 2013 at 9:07 AM      Reply Tatianna Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on campus if we use the scanners that work. Have more people that check book bags in the morning more thorley. We can also ensure that no guns are on campus if we check lockers also for weapons. If we don’t, we are still going to have guns on campus.

12. February 4th, 2013 at 9:07 AM      Reply Mercedes Holton Says:

We can ensure guns are not on campus by doing pat-downs. Also each student should be at least 2-5 ft away because if they have something they know they shouldn’t have they might try to pass it back and then go get it. By putting space between students, they wont be able to pass things and if a student is late they still need to be checked.

13. February 4th, 2013 at 9:08 AM      Reply keanna Says:

We can ensure that guns aren’t in our schools by letting someone actually check us in the morning. Sometimes they just let us go straight in without even checking our bags. Also what the point of having a metal detector and not even using it.

14. February 4th, 2013 at 9:09 AM      Reply Tameesha Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on the premises by making sure that the walk-in detector’s work. The staff should make sure that we are safe by searching us. I also think that they should make sure that we are safe. I think they should make them work because some people go back and try to get revenge by hurting other people. Some people should really stop acting stupid and get right. I also think that they should have more police officers in the school so they can make sure we safe. That’s what I think we should do.

15. February 4th, 2013 at 9:10 AM      Reply Deja Brown Says:

To ensure this task is a big quest. We can’t be positive that we are safe unless we have scanners everywhere. As for the scanners, the schools of America can not afford them.

16. February 4th, 2013 at 9:14 AM      Reply BossLeah!!! Says:

I think we really can’t do much to ensure that we don’t have guns because somehow, some way they’re going to sneak them back in and they already do a little check and that wasn’t working as it was supposed to, so they maybe can get one of those detector things they have at the airport because those seem to work.

17. February 4th, 2013 at 9:15 AM      Reply India Davis Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on our campus by having metal detectors that actually work. and we can have an x-ray monitor on our campus like the ones airports have to see through your carry on. But we can have if it fits the budget. But some people make wooden guns so we’re screwed.

18. February 4th, 2013 at 9:18 AM      Reply Love Sosa Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on school campus by frisking every child at the school and by checking every inch of their book bag. But, as we all know they won’t do that to children. At schools they ensure that guns are not on school campus by using metal detectors. The metal detector might go off because some kids might try to bring their phones in. I think we should have phones in school because crazy stuff is always happening in schools and parents should know right away if there is something crazy happening at the schools. The school may take too long to contact parents, so phones at school is a different subject. I think school should be a place of learning and should be safe; school should be the last place you would think someone would get shot. That’s my opinion.

19. February 4th, 2013 at 9:23 AM      Reply Nadia Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on our campus by having a law were schools have to have metal detectors that work really well. We also can have security come to the schools and check book bags frequently, and have the police dogs(k9)come to the schools and smell the lockers because they have a very good since [sic] of smell . I THINK IF WE DON’T FOLLOW THESE REGULATIONS GET READY FOR MORE GUNS ON CAMPUS IM JUST SAYING!!!!

20. February 4th, 2013 at 11:46 AM      Reply Sharron Ridley Says:

One way that we can ensure that guns are not on our campus is that we can actually have metal detectors that work and not have somebody from the school checking. We could at least have police officers to do it or the principals to check everyone us themselves if they want us to be safe.

21. February 4th, 2013 at 11:51 AM      Reply pretty twiggy Says:

Think we can ensure that guns are not on our campus by making sure that all metal detectors are working. We can have more police officers, and we should have hand held metal detectors.

22. February 4th, 2013 at 11:51 AM      Reply Daisha Aldridge Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on school campus by checking all the students to make sure that they don’t have a weapon. You should not pat on the student and let them go right pass they need to make sure that they checked them. Every year someone bring a weapon to school and someone always getting hurt. We need to get locks on the doors because some people just can walk in the school building.

23. February 4th, 2013 at 11:53 AM      Reply Itiria Baker Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on campus by having real metal detectors. Also, we should have a special made metal detector that only goes off when it senses a gun.

24. February 4th, 2013 at 11:54 AM      Reply Keziah Turner Says:

I believe that we can ensure that guns are not on our campus by having metal detectors. If you already own metal detectors you should turn them on and use them. We can also have at least two people standing at each metal detector, so if the metal detector goes off the first person can tell the child to go to the second person so that the second person can check their bag, and they can keep the line moving.

25. February 4th, 2013 at 11:56 AM      Reply amiracle Says:

I can ensure that gun and other bad things are not allowed in APS or brown middle school by the principle have her teachers check the students really good.

26. February 4th, 2013 at 11:56 AM      Reply imani Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on campus if we use metal detectors that work so if any metal suck as weapons or anything like that would beep but we need a metal detector that don’t go off if they have a cell and also I think they should keep all doors locked and secured because anybody can walk into in the building at any time. Also I think we should be able to have our cell phone on us every day and all day throughout the day because anything can happen in a matter of time.

27. February 4th, 2013 at 11:59 AM      Reply Jamya Davis Says:

We can ensure that gun are not in ours campus by telling all police man to be on their job everyday because if they anybody can come in the building and bring something that should not be in the school. Also we need to have metal detectors people on the hall at all time and one important thing is that if someone is late you should check them too.

28. February 4th, 2013 at 11:59 AM      Reply Nakia Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on our campus, by checking everybody who enters the school. Even if their late or early coming to school they still need to be check. We should have police officers on guarding ever door in this school building so nobody would be braking or entering inside or school. We should have metal detectors that work and everybody has to be check by them. The students should also bring their phones just incase somebody might be and intruder and come and start shooting at our school or at the innocent students because we don’t want our school too end up like Price Middle. These are my suggestions to ensure that guns are not on out campus and how students at our school can remain safe.

29. February 4th, 2013 at 12:00 PM      Reply kiera Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on our campus by having a law were schools have to have metal detectors that work really well.Also by checking bookbags more.

30. February 4th, 2013 at 12:00 PM      Reply Destini Lester Says:

To ensure that guns are not on campus we should get more administers on duty. Also we shall make sure policemen are patrolling the area around the school. I think this would be a good thing because we need to be able to learn in a safe environment. I hope that schools take this seriously because people in this environment have no home training; you never know if a kid is carrying guns. That’s why we need these extreme measures because children’s minds wonder. Also what happened at Price Middle School was unnoticed until teens started getting shot and parents are wondering what’s going on in that environment. That’s what I think.

31. February 4th, 2013 at 12:00 PM      Reply Jasmine Says:

Well I think that to ensure that guns are not on our campus just make sure metal detectors work and that every student is checked and they have been checked and there are no weapons on campus and that is how we can ensure that guns are not on our campus.

32. February 4th, 2013 at 12:01 PM      Reply Aliya Says:

I think guns should not be allowed in school because that’s not safe for the school & students and also I think they should check us better for weapons.

33. February 4th, 2013 at 12:04 PM      Reply Brittini Brown Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on our campus by using metal detectors that actually work. Instead of the administrators felling our bags they should open and actually search them and check the lockers. I also think that the administrators can do better with their jobs because if that was their child that went to Price Middle School they would have said, “Oh, I got to go get my child because if my child get shot or harm in any way I’m sueing.” I think that the school should also have good security. After the students leave they should lock the all doors in the building.

34. February 4th, 2013 at 12:07 PM      Reply kierra cato Says:

One way that you can ensure that guns are not on campus is if we have a metal detector that’s really works and more polices around while the assistant is checking student

35. February 4th, 2013 at 12:08 PM      Reply @NayaNaya Says:

The first thing we need to have is metal detectors that work. And the second thing is they need to check all bags, pockets, and etc. before we in the gym.

36. February 4th, 2013 at 12:12 PM      Reply Brekaydra Bell Says:

To ensure that guns are not on are campus. We can talk to all the students about, how you can go to jail. You can also hurt someone in you can hurt yourself. Also tell them that it for them to be safe in school. Only so kids can be safe bin school, and won`t to come to school everyday.

37. February 4th, 2013 at 2:05 PM      Reply Frances Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on our campus by having metal detectors or wands.

38. February 4th, 2013 at 2:06 PM      Reply Shannon Says:

We Can Make Sure Guns Aint On Our School Campus By Checking Each Children With A Medal Stander Or What Ever Its Called And Check The Boys Because Only Boys Would Brang Guns To School But We Shouldnt Have Book Bags In School Any Way But Also I Think We Should Have Phones In School Because School Isnt Safe Nomore And Any Thing Can Happen At Any Time……

39. February 4th, 2013 at 2:08 PM      Reply shanya Says:

I think what we can do is have a check don’t let anybody in the building with their book bag check or taken by the administrators. Also I think they should double check socks, coats, and make them shake their pants legs. Also I think that because they can a small gun stuck down in they pant legs and people don’t see it. Also we should have more lockdowns and more police up here because we don’t have nothing but one per day .I see them come in and out and one police cant solve somebody more than one person shooting.

40. February 4th, 2013 at 2:09 PM      Reply Dekhala Says:

What I think that we should keeping checking the students. Also not to let the students bring NO book bags to school just bring books and check them too.

41. February 4th, 2013 at 2:09 PM      Reply mekaylawilliams Says:

We Can Ensure That Guns Are Not On Our Campus By Having All The Adminastrators To Use The Stick Scanners To Scan All The Kids Before They Walk In The Building. I Also Think They Need Security In The Building On Every Hallway And Check Their Bags Before Walking In The Classes.

42. February 4th, 2013 at 2:15 PM      Reply Briana Says:

In my opinion I do not think we can ensure that there are any weapons on campus because when students come late to school they don’t get checked and there is no one there to make sure behind that student or visitor is an intruder, so the only way they could really be sure is to stop worrying about the students snacks and be more so focused on the metal inside the bag or small things that could be harm full and also check the parents because they could pass something to the child after they check in so I think at all times when visitors should have to have an administrator and resource officer around in order to walk in the building even if it’s only to the second floor, now and days you just can’t trust people because they are bound to do whatever they please and is going to find a way to do it, but be smart about it.

43. February 4th, 2013 at 2:23 PM      Reply zarrie Says:

We can ensure beacuse the pepole who check us in the morning need to really check us. Also we need more policeman. We can try to get cousoling.

44. February 4th, 2013 at 2:27 PM      Reply Quaneisha Holder Says:

The police can scan them down, and children should agree on doing this because people may be all bunched up and they just let them go and they can be the one with the formal weapon

45. February 4th, 2013 at 2:29 PM      Reply Unknown Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on campus by, well I guess just bring them. We could also keep doing what has already been done. Be more serious about enforcing the rules. Turn on all metal detectors, and not only turn them on, but actually check students as the scanner goes off. We could also bring the mesh or clear book bags. I kind of still don’t agree, but if I tell why I’ll be getting off topic.

46. February 4th, 2013 at 2:29 PM      Reply larrica Says:

One thing we can ensure is that guns are not on campus if we check bookbag and lockers everyday. Also I think they should enforce the rule a little bit more and be more strick on safety.

47. February 4th, 2013 at 2:31 PM      Reply corliss stinson Says:

Corliss Stinson
    All we need to do is to get the metal detectors working and then we need to check the people book bags and then we need to start patting people down then we can start searching people everywhere except in there clothes but you can check there coats and book bags I say the reason why we do that is because of the people that carry around guns some people that dosents have guns need phones to call the police and say there is a person in our school that has a gun and that’s trying to kill us. The next reason why I say that is because we can have more hidden cameras in the school because some children can get through the door with no problem with a gun and no one notice that they have a gun nowhere near them though and then we can start patting “pockets” meaning by patting down people. need to

48. February 4th, 2013 at 2:31 PM      Reply Engl!shhh Says:

We can ensure that guns are not on our campus by having better metal detectors like the one downstairs. We can have all students carry notebooks, pencil, and lunch bags every day. Also, by putting up gates, having bulletproof windows, and checking people mouths for razors.

49. February 4th, 2013 at 2:33 PM      Reply serenityeverett Says:

We can ensure that guns are not allowed on campus by checking students book bags, blog about it on are blogs so people know. and also we can put up signs.

50. February 4th, 2013 at 2:34 PM      Reply _thtsAriane Says:

How we can ensure that guns are not on school campus is to have security outside just to make sure people don’t hide stuff outside in bushes. Also what you can do is have metal detecters, and have security checking people.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Class Calendar

February 2013
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  

"WeChoose2Matter"
Click on the link above to see this word cloud at WordItOut. You may also view it on this website if you enable JavaScript (see your web browser settings).

Word cloud made with WordItOut

International Day of the GIrl Summit

!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");

“Day of the Girl Summit”

Visitors

var _clustrmaps = {'url' : 'http://michelleshayes.edublogs.org/', 'user' : 1047617, 'server' : '4', 'id' : 'clustrmaps-widget', 'version' : 1, 'date' : '2012-09-29', 'lang' : 'en', 'corners' : 'square' };(function (){ var s = document.createElement('script'); s.type = 'text/javascript'; s.async = true; s.src = 'http://www4.clustrmaps.com/counter/map.js'; var x = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; x.parentNode.insertBefore(s, x);})();Locations of visitors to this page

free counters

Google Scholar

Google Scholar

Google Language Translator

function googleTranslateElementInit() { new google.translate.TranslateElement({pageLanguage: 'en', layout: google.translate.TranslateElement.InlineLayout.SIMPLE}, 'google_translate_element'); }

Ms. Hayes, Academic Coach

Georgetown K-8

Skip to toolbar